Saturday, April 7, 2012

Countdown To Move In: Twins' Bedroom

Another treat of a room to renovate... this room had very little wallpaper (just a pineapple themed border put at random heights on various walls) but it had the most horrible mint green walls, trim and ceiling.

This is the biggest bedroom (other than the master) and is upstairs.

I selected this room for my twin daughters, due to proximity to the master bedroom as well as ample closet space.

Here's the before that captures the colour:



Keep in mind the ceiling was this horrible mint shade also. Brutal!

The hardwood was in really rough shape up here, water and paint stains all over.

So first thing first we painted out the ceiling and primed everything.

The next step was to paint the trim and select a paint colour. I pulled a colour out of their bedding, they have matching bedding, one set is pink and green, the other is purple and green, so I picked a soft apple green. It's Benjamin Moore Caledon Green.



So, at this point, the upstairs became off limits as the hardwood floor re-finisher did his work. I did sneak in for a shot as the floor was being sanded:


As I mentioned previously, we did a dark wood floor- half walnut, and half natural to tone it down a bit. The floor wasn't done until just prior to moving day, so here is the end result, with some of their things in the room the day we moved in:


The rug is from costco, the lights are from IKEA, the bunk bed is just a cheap pine one from JYSK (I'd like to find french provincial style twin beds eventually). The dressers were thrift/habitat store finds and the plan is to refinish them eventually.

After moving, I picked out a decal for their wall from Etsy:



I debated what wall to put it on so as to not lose the freedom to move around dressers later.. and eventually decided that the closet doors would work, as we would never block them with a dresser or bookshelf:


I asked for extras so I could make a border to go around the room:


I'm thrilled with the end result. We've added a small white bookshelf under the window, and have yet to add their pink curtains, but everything seems to be a work in progress here and they are happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment