Sunday, April 8, 2012

Second Floor Bathroom

 We have a couple of other completed projects to catch up on (watch for a post about the basement reno, as well as the other main floor bedroom), but I'm just so excited about this, that I couldn't wait to post!

This is our second floor bathroom. Our main floor bathroom is where we shower... so we pretty much ignored this bathroom. The shower can't be used as there is an old wooden framed window in it.

Here is the before picture I took when I was touring the house:


The window coverings, tile, trim and ceiling were all blue. The vanity was dated, with old ugly knobs and exposed sink and plumbing under the vanity.

Here's a better before picture of the Vanity, after we moved (excuse the mess!):



And the mirror and light fixture:


The light fixture is hard to see, but it's your typical 60's glass shade with a couple of bulbs and an outlet. Plus some gold trim.  The mirror was all grody in the corner and weighed a freaking ton.

When I took it off, an even bigger surprise, this room had been wallpapered (not surprising) the previous owners had REMOVED the wallpaper (WHAT?!):



Of course it was a green damask, but it really brought in the powder blue too. Can you imagine a room of this opening onto the olive green damask in the hallway. WOW.

The flooring was a cream vinyl with a gold fleck in it.

This room clearly needed help. I didn't have the budget to start replacing fixtures and taking on flooring projects, so I had to get creative.

First thing was first. After removing the mirror I took the wheelchair grab bar off.


Then I took out the blue TP holder and patched up that hole.

The next project was the vanity and tim. I painted out the trim and vanity in a nice fresh white and found some pretty glass knobs to replace the ugly tired plastic ones that were on the vanity.


This is where I toyed with the idea of putting a curtain in the gap to cover the sink and plumbing. I decided that taking the easy way out wasn't going to do it for me and I had Ben build some shelves and a front for the vanity instead (out of MDF) and painted them out:



Much better!

Now I had the task of priming and painting at hand. A few weeks prior we were at Benjamin Moore and while selecting a paint colour, I found a soft true grey on the 'mistint' rack. Misty Grey it was, and at 50% off, I was thrilled. I love the BEN line of paints, they go on SO nicely, I used the same paint in the girls' room.

I primed the room and painted out the (blue) ceiling, and then Ben took over and painted the walls the nice soft grey:


Another stroke of fate, my mom had found a mirror on clearance at RONA for $30 (marked down from $170 I think!). The mirror is beautiful and had a glossy natural wood frame.

I had picked the lighting fixture weeks ago, I fell in love with it when I saw it online, and then when I found it at home depot for less than I found it for online, I knew I would get it! It's a shiny chrome fixture with hand blown glass shades.





Even though the shower isn't functional, it still really needed a shower rod and curtain to make the room look more put together. I had picked up a curved curtain rod from Wal-Mart a few weeks back (unfortunately it's a brushed nickle, I didn't know I would be doing chrome accents when I got it). It still looks great. The shower curtains were 50% off at the grocery store. I really liked the look of two curtains to flank the window/tub. I saw it on Pinterest and knew that's the look I wanted.


I added a  white memory foam bathmat I scored for $9 in the clearance section of home-sense, a chrome towel rod from the same section for $13, and some blue and grey striped towels.

For the floor, we opted for grout-able Vinyl peel and stick tiles in a blue/grey ceramic look. Ben was really skeptical about the peel and stick idea, but I showed him the product in the store, and the reviews I had found online, and for the minimal investment it would require he agreed that we would give it a shot. Once they are grouted they really do look like ceramic.


They actually look really great and were easy to install and very affordable (1.30 a square foot). Cutting them is pretty simple, you just score the tile with a knife and snap.

We'll grout them in a few weeks when we have a kid-free weekend, but they still look great in the meantime.

I added some natural baskets to tie in the mirror frame's natural wood.




Finally, the art:




 My mom painted this watercolour of my three kiddos at the beach, and it just fits so perfectly in the space. I love it!

I'm thrilled with the end result. I still have my eyes open for a few more accessories (I want some hooks for towels, and some pretty accessories for the counter) but the renovation parts are done!

 Here is the side by side before/after :)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment